Labels

December 14, 2018

Blizzcon 2018: Classic WOW

At Blizzcon in 2017, Blizzard announced that it was working on remastering Vanilla WOW as requested by players.  Now in 2018 a Classic WOW demo is available to play at Blizzcon, and online for virtual ticket holders, and is set for release in summer 2019.  It was announced it would be available to all players with a subscription to WOW.  As I played a bit of WOW in vanilla I decided to give it a go.

I downloaded the demo and started to create my character.  As my first ever character in WOW was a female gnome warrior that is what I went for in the demo and Kazumi Mk II was born.  The options for creating and personalising your character were limited with only the original races and creative options.

In the demo my gnome started out as a level 15 at Sentinel Hill in Westfall.  The time you can play on the demo is limited to one hour then you get disconnected and can join again half an hour later.  (The time limit was removed on the second day).  I picked up the first two quests, kill 15 of one kind of defias and 15 of another kind of defias, the second quest was collect 8 gnoll paws.  Many quests in vanilla were collect # of these or kill # of these and this continued with the follow up quests to kill 30 more defias and then another 25 of different kinds.  On top of these the drop rates were terrible, so if you want to play classic get used to this.

As I quest I can remember a few things which has changed in WOW, as it evolved, mostly for the better.

1- Bag space/loot.  In classic you only have your backpack and much smaller bags than we are used to today.  I can remember being very pleased the first time I dropped a 10 slot bag.  You also needed to carry ammo if you were a hunter or reagents for some spells.  And there was no autoloot.  Deleting items just to make space for loot was common place.  On top of that items only stacked up to 10, so if you were doing some herbing or mining this took alot more space than the 200 stack slots we have today.

2- Quests.  Quests do not show up on the map and so you discover them as you walk around the zones.  Also when you pick up a quest the location of where this needs to be completed does not show either.  You need to read the quest text to get a clue of where to go with clues like 'east of Sentinel Hill' or 'near the Jangolode Mine'.  This is a bit different from now where quest information covers the map when you enter a zone and I remember spending a lot of time checking websites like Thottbot, which merged with Wowhead in 2010, for where to complete quest.  I enjoy questing and following the story of each zone.  I think the new system is easier but I find myself maybe not paying as much attention as I did in the past to the text and the vanilla style is definitely more immersive.  But, I do like being sure I haven't missed anything.  As a completionist this is important to me.

3- Mobs.  Mobs levelling with you is a fairly new addition to WOW and one I am conflicted with.  I suppose I like being able to overpower everything which if they level with you does not happen until max level,  but then the plus side is that you still get a lot of XP when you are finishing the zone so people who are power leveling don't just do the beginning of each zone and never finish the story.  You can do a different starting zone with each alt and its a little less repetitive.  However the other thing about mobs in vanilla is they are hard.  They are difficult to solo at the right level they regularly kill you and spawn right on top of your corpse.  Trying to kill more than one at a time will mostly mean death.  There are also much fewer graveyards per zone so the run back is long.  I definitely died a lot in the first few hours of playing classic.

4- The talent system.  This was very different from today.  Your player had a different talent tree for each spec and as you level you can pick which tree to place your talent points in (sorry I did not get a photo) either focusing on one spec first or put points in all trees as you leveled.

Overall I enjoyed having a go at classic WOW.  I would like to play a bit when it launches next summer but I'm not sure how much as I don't have time with all the current game content.  Unless a group off people I know want to do some  stuff together, Classic WOW will always be better for group play and maybe trying some old 40 man raiding could be good "LEEEE...ROY JENKINS"

No comments:

Post a Comment